LIFE Recruits !
Baltic and North Sea Regional Coordinator
LIFE is a European umbrella organisation established to represent the interests of the Low Impact Fishers of Europe. Its mission is to achieve conditions in which fishing is performed in a sustainable manner and small-scale low impact fishermen and women in Europe can maximise their social and economic viability.
LIFE is currently seeking an experienced, self-motivated and multi-skilled candidate to fulfil the role of Baltic and North Sea Regional Coordinator.
The purpose of this EU funded role is to develop a programme of work in the Baltic and North Sea Regions centred on engaging LIFE’s members with the policy and decision making processes that affect their livelihoods. The post holder will work closely with and report to LIFE’s Executive Director/ Deputy Director.
The main duties and responsibilities will involve following national, regional and EU level policy processes in general, with a specific focus on the agenda and work programmes of the relevant Advisory Councils (ACs). He/ she will provide effective support for LIFE’s members and other small-scale fishers to enable them to participate in the ACs, helping them to prepare interventions, position papers etc., and to articulate messages to be transmitted at regional and European level, promote initiatives, co-operation and exchange of best practices and promote LIFE at regional level.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Monitor the regional Advisory Councils and support and facilitate the participation of LIFE’s members in the AC’s
- Support LIFE’s members and other fishers to articulate messages and disseminate them at Advisory Council and EU level
- Coordinate regional capacity building, develop Associations and networks of small-scale fishers and facilitate their presence at key meetings at both Member State and Brussels level
- Identify common interests and needs, promote initiatives, projects and co-operation among small scale fishers in the Region including exchanges of best practice
- Organise workshops, seminars, trainings, conferences and inter-fisher organisation meetings
- Undertake field work, visiting small-scale fishers organisations
- Disseminate information about LIFE and encourage membership
- Act as a conduit of communication to Board of Directors, Members of LIFE and LIFE’s team
- Act as a first point of contact for Regional external and internal queries
- Keep track of annual regional planning and reporting timetable
- Produce a final Project Report and best practice guidelines
PERSON PROFILE Essential:
- Educated to degree level, ideally within a fisheries related discipline or equivalent experience in a fisheries related or coordination type role
- Proven ability in coordination / consensus building practices
- Very good level of English (both written and verbal) together with a good working knowledge of Polish and German [both written and verbal] as a minimum
- High standard of written and oral communication skills
- Experience of and familiarity with office equipment, Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) packages and video conferencing systems
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Experience of organising and managing meetings, including minute taking
- Knowledge of EU Institutions and fishery policy processes in Brussels
- Respect for confidentiality at all times
- Ability to work unsupervised and with a high level of initiative
- Willingness to work unsocial hours and travel as required
- Project management skills or experience
- Experience of negotiations/ negotiating skills
- Experience in working with social and other media
- Personal belief in and support for the aims and objectives of LIFE
- Knowledge of other European language(s), especially Baltic and Scandinavian languages would be an asset
Employment conditions – Remuneration: 40K€ annual gross salary depending on experience – Post to commence in May 2016 – This is a self-employed full time collaboration contract for a fixed period to the end of December 2017 – Location: home based within project area If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV in English along with a covering letter to: email@example.com A copy of the full job and person specification is available on request from the same e-mail address. CLOSING date for applications: April 17 2016